advertisement

Introduction

Origins

The City

Collegeville (1887, 1895)
College Delta (1898, 1899)
Oakwood (1899)
Cedar Banks (1900)
College Grove (1903)
Fairview (1904, 1905)
College Heights (1904)

Charter of 1907

Avondale (1913)
Bungalow Knolls (1916)
Chesterfield Hills (1916)
Ardson (1919)
Ridgeley Park (1921)
Strathmore (1925)
Glen Cairn (1926)
Bailey (1927)
Touraine (1927)

The Campus

Chronology

1855–1870
1871–1885
1886–1900
1901–1915
1916–1927

 

Interactive Map

Sites on the National and State Historic Registers

Complete list of
Significant Structures

Sources

Orvil J. Ayrs House, 320 M.A.C. Ave. (1915)


O. J. Ayrs House, November 2003. Photo Credit: Kevin S. Forsyth.

O. J. Ayrs was a local developer, an Alderman (council member) of the City during the 1920s and a board member of the East Lansing State Bank. He served as Grand Master of the nearby Masonic Lodge in 1938. Ayrs was a “master carpenter and plumber and worked personally on every house built under his name. These houses were—and are—all wood frame, modest by today’s standards, but fine family houses with oak flooring, tall gables, and clapboard or shingle siding. In the late 1920s the claim was made that O. J. Ayrs had built half of the young city.”[Kestenbaum, p. 25] Several anecdotes about this eccentric but kind-hearted man appear in At the Campus Gate.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]