advertisement

Introduction

Origins

The City

Collegeville (1887, 1895)
College Delta (1898, 1899)
Oakwood (1899)
Cedar Banks (1900)
College Grove (1903)
Fairview (1904, 1905)
College Heights (1904)

Charter of 1907

Avondale (1913)
Bungalow Knolls (1916)
Chesterfield Hills (1916)
Ardson (1919)
Ridgeley Park (1921)
Strathmore (1925)
Glen Cairn (1926)
Bailey (1927)
Touraine (1927)

The Campus

Chronology

1855–1870
1871–1885
1886–1900
1901–1915
1916–1927

 

Interactive Map

Sites on the National and State Historic Registers

Complete list of
Significant Structures

Sources

Charles Bachman House, 929 Roxburgh (1937) SR


Charles Bachman House, March 1992. Photo Credit: Kevin S. Forsyth.

Charles Bachman was Michigan State’s football coach from 1933 to 1946. This newer home is significant as an excellent example of the International Modern style, and as the only 1930s residential work in the greater Lansing area by prolific Midland architect Alden B. Dow (1904–1983). Dow was a protégé of Frank Lloyd Wright and so well respected that in his final year he was named architect laureate of the State of Michigan. Some East Lansing Historic Commission documents refer to this as the Dow House.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]