advertisement

Introduction

Origins

The City

Collegeville (1887, 1895)
College Delta (1898, 1899)
Oakwood (1899)
Cedar Banks (1900)
College Grove (1903)
Fairview (1904, 1905)
College Heights (1904)

Charter of 1907

Avondale (1913)
Bungalow Knolls (1916)
Chesterfield Hills (1916)
Ardson (1919)
Ridgeley Park (1921)
Strathmore (1925)
Glen Cairn (1926)

The Campus

Chronology

1855–1870
1871–1885
1886–1900
1901–1915
1916–1927

 

Interactive Map

Sites on the National and State Historic Registers

Complete list of
Significant Structures

Sources

Bigelow–Thomas–Kuhn House, 334 N. Hagadorn (1849) SR


Bigelow–Thomas–Kuhn House, November 2003. Photo Credit: Kevin S. Forsyth.

Historic Marker text: “By 1986 this Greek Revival house was the only privately owned pre-Civil War house still used as a residence in East Lansing. Horace Bigelow (c. 1822–1891) built it in 1849. According to the 1874 Atlas of Ingham County, Bigelow was ‘a farmer, stock and wool grower, and breeder of Essex hogs.’ He was also a member of the Marble School Board. His daughter Jennie Kuhn (1853–1925), long-time secretary of the Marble School Board, lived in the house all of her life.”


The Test

by Walter Adams