advertisement

Introduction

Origins

The City

Collegeville (1887, 1895)
College Delta (1898, 1899)
Oakwood (1899)
Cedar Banks (1900)
College Grove (1903)
Fairview (1904, 1905)
College Heights (1904)

Charter of 1907

Avondale (1913)
Bungalow Knolls (1916)
Chesterfield Hills (1916)
Ardson (1919)
Ridgeley Park (1921)
Strathmore (1925)
Glen Cairn (1926)

The Campus

Chronology

1855–1870
1871–1885
1886–1900
1901–1915
1916–1927

 

Interactive Map

Sites on the National and State Historic Registers

Complete list of
Significant Structures

Sources

Butterfield–Ayers House, 134 Center Street (1895)


Butterfield–Ayers House, February 1992. Photo Credit: Kevin S. Forsyth.

Only one pre-Delta house remains in Collegeville: the Butterfield–Ayers House, built in 1895. This author is uncertain about the Butterfield name, having found no indication that either Ira Butterfield (Secretary of the Board of Agriculture, 1893–1999) or his son Kenyon Butterfield (M.A.C. ’91; President of the College, 1924–1928) ever lived here. Both lived on campus at Faculty Row № 10 during Ira’s tenure, and Kenyon lived at № 6 as President.

The “Ayers” appellation may be a typo by the East Lansing Historic Commission, one that was frequently made with regard to Orvil J. Ayrs. In 1910 Orvil, along with his twin sister Olena and their widowed mother Laura, lived about five doors from Michigan Avenue on Center Street. This was before house numbering so the record is inconclusive, but there is a strong possibility that this was their house. By 1916 they had moved to M.A.C. Avenue, where Orvil built several houses including the significant Ayrs House at 320 M.A.C. Avenue.[Lansing City Directory (1910), p. 141; (1916) p. 180]


The Spirit of Michigan State

by J. Bruce McCristal