advertisement

Introduction

Origins

The City

Collegeville (1887, 1895)
College Delta (1898, 1899)
Oakwood (1899)
Cedar Banks (1900)
College Grove (1903)
Fairview (1904, 1905)
College Heights (1904)

Charter of 1907

Avondale (1913)
Bungalow Knolls (1916)
Chesterfield Hills (1916)
Ardson (1919)
Ridgeley Park (1921)
Strathmore (1925)
Glen Cairn (1926)
Bailey (1927)
Touraine (1927)

The Campus

Chronology

1855–1870
1871–1885
1886–1900
1901–1915
1916–1927

 

Interactive Map

Sites on the National and State Historic Registers

Complete list of
Significant Structures

Sources

Cedar Banks (1900)


Map by the author, based on Newman, 1915.

The Harrison family attempted to get in on the residential speculation by platting a portion of their land at the southwest corner of Michigan Avenue and Harrison Road. A pair of crossing streets were named for Almond and Eliza Harrison. This subdivision never took off—Newman’s 1915 map only shows two buildings on its 32 lots, at least one of which was a Harrison property. Ultimately, the land was acquired by the university.

No trace of Cedar Banks, nor of two neighboring streets in Lansing Township (Euclid and Prospect), remains today. Cedar Banks later became the site of the East Lansing city dump, and beginning in 1954 was replaced by the Brody Complex of residence halls.[Miller, p. 80]

 

[an error occurred while processing this directive]