advertisement

Introduction

Origins

The City

Collegeville (1887, 1895)
College Delta (1898, 1899)
Oakwood (1899)
Cedar Banks (1900)
College Grove (1903)
Fairview (1904, 1905)
College Heights (1904)

Charter of 1907

Avondale (1913)
Bungalow Knolls (1916)
Chesterfield Hills (1916)
Ardson (1919)
Ridgeley Park (1921)
Strathmore (1925)
Glen Cairn (1926)

The Campus

Chronology

1855–1870
1871–1885
1886–1900
1901–1915
1916–1927

 

Interactive Map

Sites on the National and State Historic Registers

Complete list of
Significant Structures

Sources

C. M. Dickson House, 505 Albert Ave. (1909)


C. M. Dickson House, November 2003. Photo Credit: Kevin S. Forsyth

This house in “Queen Anne style with its narrow wood siding, bay window and decorative brackets,” has been called “an excellent example of the homes which used to line Grand River Avenue prior to commercial development.” It was built in 1909 about five doors east of the Abbot Road intersection for owners Chalmers M. and Nannie B. Dickson. Dr. Dickson was an oculist who kept his practice on the first floor. Occasionally he also provided his services at the College Hospital. In East Lansing’s original numbering system the house was addressed as 318 Grand River Avenue; after 1920 this became 129 East Grand River.[Landmark Walking Tour. Newman, 1915. LCD (1910), p. 251; (1922), p. 333]

As the Home Economics Division gained momentum and women’s enrollment started a rapid climb that would last for the next several decades, the College was quickly hard-pressed for accommodations. As a stopgap, at least six off-campus houses were leased by the College in 1915 for use as women’s dormitory annexes. The Dickson house became “College Cottage” and housed twenty students, along with house matron Mrs. N. L. Eastman.[MAC Record, 21(1), 21 Sep 1915, p. 6]

College Cottage remained in operation on Grand River through the end of the 1921–22 school year. By 1925 the house had been moved to 505 Albert Street, where it became an eight-unit rooming house named “Ives Apartments” for its proprietors, Melvin and Lenora Ives. At that time the original, open front porch was enclosed.[LCD (1925), p. 767. Sanborn (1926) p. 270]

This site has long quoted a pamphlet titled “Landmark Walking Tour,” produced by the East Lansing Historic Commission in 1991, which claims this house “became the home of the Phylean Society in 1916.” This author no longer believes that to be the case: the Phyleans used meeting rooms on campus until circa 1917, when they built their house at 729 East Grand River. They remained there through a merger with the Trimoira Society and installation into Beta Kappa fraternity in 1936. Today that address remains the site of a fraternity house, built in 1963.