advertisement

Introduction

Origins

The City

Collegeville (1887, 1895)
College Delta (1898, 1899)
Oakwood (1899)
Cedar Banks (1900)
College Grove (1903)
Fairview (1904, 1905)
College Heights (1904)

Charter of 1907

Avondale (1913)
Bungalow Knolls (1916)
Chesterfield Hills (1916)
Ardson (1919)
Ridgeley Park (1921)
Strathmore (1925)
Glen Cairn (1926)

The Campus

Chronology

1855–1870
1871–1885
1886–1900
1901–1915
1916–1927

 

Interactive Map

Sites on the National and State Historic Registers

Complete list of
Significant Structures

Sources

291 Durand St. (purported 1884)


291 Durand Street, and “the house next door,” November 2003. Photo Credit: Kevin S. Forsyth.

In the East Lansing history book At the Campus Gate, a photograph of Station Terrace appears with this caption:

“Station Terrace,” which housed faculty bachelors and served as East Lansing’s Post Office from 1912 to 1923. Later it was moved to 291 Durand (corner of Ann Street); the “excess lumber” was used in building the house next door.[Kestenbaum, p. 139]

According to East Lansing historic commission documents, which refer to it as the “Old Post Office” and list it as a significant structure, the building at 291 Durand was originally constructed on campus in 1884.

This author is skeptical of both sources, for several reasons:

Given all the discrepancies, much more evidence is needed before this site will continue to claim that Station Terrace and 291 Durand are the same building, beyond perhaps the former being a source of raw lumber for the latter. If such is the case, then in this author’s opinion recycling lumber to build new is not the same as “moving” an original structure.

 


The Test

by Walter Adams