Faculty Row № 9, 217 Beech St. (1884)
Faculty Row Number Nine, November 2003. Photo Credit: Kevin S. Forsyth.
The community that is now East Lansing began on the campus of M.A.C., in its “Faculty Row.” Faculty Row № 9, designed by William Appleyard and built in 1884, was the home of the Professor of Horticulture. Its first resident was Liberty Hyde Bailey.[Minutes, 30 Dec 1884, p. 460]
Of the ten houses in the Row, only two remain: Number 7 (in its original location but much modified as Cowles House, the President’s residence) and Number 9 (moved to Beech Street around 1922). Though its form is much the same, including a distinctive triangular dormer above the front porch, the wood siding is not original: photographs taken on campus show № 9 to have had a brick façade, as specified by the Board.[Minutes, 11 Jun 1883, pp. 435–436]