Veterinary Clinic (1913)
Soon after the completion of the first Veterinary Laboratory in 1885, the College pressed for “a curriculum leading to the degree of Veterinary Surgeon. The Board asked for an appropriation of $10,000 for a veterinary infirmary in 1891 in order to expand the clinical work for such a curriculum. The appropriation failed and the project was delayed for twenty years.”[Kuhn, p. 151] The surgical program was finally established in 1910, and a new Veterinary Clinic to support the program, designed by Edwyn Bowd, was built in 1913 (first occupied in 1915) on the east side of Farm Lane.
Veterinary Clinic, circa 1914. Photo Credit: M.S.U. Physical Plant.
A new Anatomy Building was constructed in 1931 to the east of the Vet Clinic. It was designed by the firm of Bowd and Munson in the Collegiate Gothic style. This style was first used on campus in the 1920s (starting with the Union Memorial Building, Home Economics building, and Beaumont Tower), and was the de facto standard—along with Bowd–Munson as architects—through the 1940s.
Anatomy Building, no later than 1934. Frame building to right is the Poultry House.
Photo Credit: M.S.U. Physical Plant.
In addition to the department of Anatomy, this building housed Animal Pathology, which would no longer hoist its subjects precariously into the second floor of the old Vet Lab (demolished around the time of this building’s completion); and Bacteriology, which moved from the building now known as Marshall–Adams Hall.
These two separate buildings, with their closely related curricula, would over the next twenty years become part of the agglomeration known as Giltner Hall. Additions to the Veterinary Clinic by Bowd–Munson were completed in 1938 and 1940. Another major addition by Munson in 1952 joined Anatomy to the Vet Clinic and brought the building’s total area to over 250,000 square feet, making it the largest academic building on campus at that time.[Physical Plant Data Book, p. 16]
Entrance of Giltner Hall, believed to be part of the 1952 addition, with its original oak doors and Collegiate Gothic detailing. The brick-edged sidewalk with grassy median strip meets the entrance at an angle because it extends from the main axis of the center pavilion of the Natural Science building, across Farm Lane.
August 2006. Photo Credit: Kevin S. Forsyth.
Named for Dr. Ward Giltner, Giltner Hall is long past being state of the art, and many of its departments have moved to the new Biomedical Physical Sciences Building, built in 2001 and the largest academic building on campus. Its residency is in flux, and though a strong base of support exists for adaptive reuse, Giltner Hall’s future is uncertain.[Stanford, p. 85. Kuhn, p. 352. Dressel, p. 365.]