advertisement

Introduction

Origins

The City

Collegeville (1887, 1895)
College Delta (1898, 1899)
Oakwood (1899)
Cedar Banks (1900)
College Grove (1903)
Fairview (1904, 1905)
College Heights (1904)

Charter of 1907

Avondale (1913)
Bungalow Knolls (1916)
Chesterfield Hills (1916)
Ardson (1919)
Ridgeley Park (1921)
Strathmore (1925)
Glen Cairn (1926)
Bailey (1927)
Touraine (1927)

The Campus

Chronology

1855–1870
1871–1885
1886–1900
1901–1915
1916–1927

 

Interactive Map

Sites on the National and State Historic Registers

Complete list of
Significant Structures

Sources

Giltner House, 652 Hillcrest Ave. (1924)


Giltner House, November 2003. Photo Credit: Kevin S. Forsyth.

Dr. Ward Giltner joined the faculty of M.A.C. in 1908 as Professor of Bacteriology, and chaired the department (now known as Microbiology and Molecular Genetics) beginning in 1912. From 1923 until his retirement in 1947, Giltner was simultaneously dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine; the college’s former home, Giltner Hall, is named for him. A previous Giltner residence (built 1911, no longer standing) was two doors east of the Newman house, likely in the shadow of the Oakwood oak tree. Nearby Dorothy Lane, originally part of the Giltner property, is named for his daughter.


Dr. Ward Giltner at his desk, 1919. Photo Credit: M.S.U. Archives. Reprinted in McCristal, p. 61.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]