advertisement

Introduction

Origins

The City

Collegeville (1887, 1895)
College Delta (1898, 1899)
Oakwood (1899)
Cedar Banks (1900)
College Grove (1903)
Fairview (1904, 1905)
College Heights (1904)

Charter of 1907

Avondale (1913)
Bungalow Knolls (1916)
Chesterfield Hills (1916)
Ardson (1919)
Ridgeley Park (1921)
Strathmore (1925)
Glen Cairn (1926)
Bailey (1927)
Touraine (1927)

The Campus

Chronology

1855–1870
1871–1885
1886–1900
1901–1915
1916–1927

 

Interactive Map

Sites on the National and State Historic Registers

Complete list of
Significant Structures

Sources

W. O. Hedrick House, 220 Oakhill Ave. (1909)


W. O. Hedrick House, February 1992. Photo Credit: Kevin S. Forsyth.

Wilbur Olin Hedrick (M.A.C. ’91) was Professor of English 1891–93, Assistant Professor in History and Political Science 1893–1906, Head of the Department of History and Economics 1906–1916, Head of the Department of Economics 1916–1930, and retired in 1938. He initiated the first classes in agricultural economics at MAC in 1911. He was an early member of the East Lansing school board, and was married to Lu Baker, of the large Baker family of East Lansing.


W. O. Hedrick. Photo Credit: Beal, p. 455, where his name is given as “William.”

Professor Hedrick was a vocal proponent of the cooperative movement, teaching a course in its principles and publishing two bulletins on Michigan cooperatives, one on grain elevators and the other on creameries. “The first student housing cooperative in the United States to own its own building” was founded in 1939 at M.S.C. and was named for him. Having moved several times, Hedrick Cooperative built its current house on Collingwood Avenue (then known as Haslett Street) in the 1950s.[Hedrick website]

[an error occurred while processing this directive]