advertisement

Introduction

Origins

The City

Collegeville (1887, 1895)
College Delta (1898, 1899)
Oakwood (1899)
Cedar Banks (1900)
College Grove (1903)
Fairview (1904, 1905)
College Heights (1904)

Charter of 1907

Avondale (1913)
Bungalow Knolls (1916)
Chesterfield Hills (1916)
Ardson (1919)
Ridgeley Park (1921)
Strathmore (1925)
Glen Cairn (1926)

The Campus

Chronology

1855–1870
1871–1885
1886–1900
1901–1915
1916–1927

 

Interactive Map

Sites on the National and State Historic Registers

Complete list of
Significant Structures

Sources

Edward Porter Kinney House, 829 E. Grand River Ave. (c. 1903 – c. 1987)

Edward Porter Kinney (1867–1955) founded the Capitol Electric Supply and National Coil Company in 1895, later known as the Capitol Electric Engineering Company. “As proprietor and president of this company, Kinney supervised many electrical engineering jobs throughout the Lansing area including work on the Capitol and on the Michigan Agricultural College campus. E.P. Kinney married Wilhelmina Sarah Graham and they had eight children, of which the eldest was Edward Everett Kinney, a professor of Electrical Engineering at Michigan State University.” [M.S.U. Archives]

In October 1986 the Evans Scholars Foundation purchased four of the five Fairview lots between Kedzie Street and Orchard Street, a parcel that included the Kinney house lot. The house was soon demolished to clear the site for a new Evans Scholars house.