A. B. Krentel House, 709 Grove St. (c. 1910)
A. B. Krentel House, November 2003. Photo Credit: Kevin S. Forsyth.
Adorf Bernhart Krentel (1874–1948, M.A.C. ’99) studied chemistry under Professor Robert Kedzie and put Kedzie’s expertise in beet sugar into action, working several years as chemist for Dominion Sugar Co. in Berlin (now Kitchener), Ontario and later chief chemist for Continental Sugar in Findlay, Ohio.
Adorf returned to East Lansing in 1923 with his wife Clara Pringle (1882–1975) and their two sons, moved into this house, and joined his brothers Christian and Alexander in the Krentel Brothers real estate firm. The house remained in the Krentel family until 1969.
When it was built circa 1910, this house stood outside the city limits, and Burcham Drive was still known as North Street.