advertisement

Introduction

Origins

The City

Collegeville (1887, 1895)
College Delta (1898, 1899)
Oakwood (1899)
Cedar Banks (1900)
College Grove (1903)
Fairview (1904, 1905)
College Heights (1904)

Charter of 1907

Avondale (1913)
Bungalow Knolls (1916)
Chesterfield Hills (1916)
Ardson (1919)
Ridgeley Park (1921)
Strathmore (1925)
Glen Cairn (1926)

The Campus

Chronology

1855–1870
1871–1885
1886–1900
1901–1915
1916–1927

 

Interactive Map

Sites on the National and State Historic Registers

Complete list of
Significant Structures

Sources

Justice William W. Potter House, 334 Evergreen Ave. (1909)


Justice W. W. Potter House, November 2003. Photo Credit: Kevin S. Forsyth.

William W. Potter (1869–1940) had a distinguished, forty-year career in Michigan politics, having been state senator, gubernatorial candidate, and attorney general. In 1928 he was elected to the Michigan Supreme Court, and served a term as Chief Justice in 1935. Potter died while still on the bench of injuries sustained in an auto accident.

For several years following Justice Potter’s death, his widow Margaret D. Potter rented the house to the College for use as one of several off-campus women’s cooperative houses.[Minutes, 26 Sep 1940, p. 1659; 15 Jul 1949, p. 2760]

Four properties on Evergreen Avenue, including the Potter house, were purchased by the City in 2009 in anticipation of redevelopment. The properties were slated for demolition as part of a $148 million project, with a three-story, twelve unit condominium building planned in their place. This was later revised to surface parking lots. However, the project was scrapped in September 2017, which seems to have offered a temporary reprieve to the Potter house and its neighbors.[East Lansing Info, 6 Feb 2017, 21 Sep 2017]

 


The Holy Earth

by Liberty Hyde Bailey