Gov. George Romney House, 1045 Rosewood Ave. (1945)
Gov. George Romney House, undated photo. Photo Credit: AccessMyGov.com.
George W. Romney (1907–1995) became the 43rd Governor of Michigan on January 1, 1963, following his win in the 1962 election. Romney and his wife Lenore made their home in Bloomfield Hills, and at that time the state had not yet established an official governor's mansion, so they rented this house in order to live closer to the Capitol. He was reelected in 1964 and 1966, the latter to a four-year term due to a change in the law. The Romneys purchased this home in May 1967.
Romney announced his candidacy for U.S. President in November 1967, a run that lasted less than four months before pre-primary polling in New Hampshire showed him running 6-to-1 behind the presumptive nominee, Richard Nixon. After a contentious campaign, President-elect Nixon nominated Romney to be his Secretary of Housing and Urban Development. He was sworn in on January 22, 1969, and resigned as Michigan governor that same day. George and Lenore Romney moved to Washington and sold this property in April 1969.