advertisement

Introduction

Origins

The City

Collegeville (1887, 1895)
College Delta (1898, 1899)
Oakwood (1899)
Cedar Banks (1900)
College Grove (1903)
Fairview (1904, 1905)
College Heights (1904)

Charter of 1907

Avondale (1913)
Bungalow Knolls (1916)
Chesterfield Hills (1916)
Ardson (1919)
Ridgeley Park (1921)
Strathmore (1925)
Glen Cairn (1926)

The Campus

Chronology

1855–1870
1871–1885
1886–1900
1901–1915
1916–1927

 

Interactive Map

Sites on the National and State Historic Registers

Complete list of
Significant Structures

Sources

Jacob Schepers House, 335 Hillcrest Ave. (1905)


Jacob Schepers House, July 2011. Photo Credit: Google Street View.

Jacob Schepers, a local realtor, held several city offices; he was East Lansing’s fourth mayor, from 1914 to 1918. He also served as Treasurer of the College beginning in 1922.[Minutes, 29 Jun 1922, p. 542] His real estate partner, Benjamin Faunce, lived two doors south.

Though not listed as significant, the house one door south (327 Hillcrest Avenue) from 1929 to 1939 served as the home of Alpha Phi sorority, which can trace its history back to the Feronian Society, the first all-women’s literary society* at the College. Schepers’ daughter Josephine (M.A.C. ’24) had been a member of Alpha Phi.[Wolverine (1922), p. 342; (1930), p. 292]


327 Hillcrest Ave. circa 1930, when it was the Alpha Phi sorority house. The wide, open front porch has since been replaced, and the side vestibule enclosed. The Schepers house is partly visible at right. Photo Credit: The Wolverine yearbook of 1930, p. 292.