advertisement

Introduction

Origins

The City

Collegeville (1887, 1895)
College Delta (1898, 1899)
Oakwood (1899)
Cedar Banks (1900)
College Grove (1903)
Fairview (1904, 1905)
College Heights (1904)

Charter of 1907

Avondale (1913)
Bungalow Knolls (1916)
Chesterfield Hills (1916)
Ardson (1919)
Ridgeley Park (1921)
Strathmore (1925)
Glen Cairn (1926)

The Campus

Chronology

1855–1870
1871–1885
1886–1900
1901–1915
1916–1927

 

Interactive Map

Sites on the National and State Historic Registers

Complete list of
Significant Structures

Sources

Gov. Murray D. VanWagoner House, 415 Clifton Blvd. (1925)


VanWagoner House, July 2004. Photo Credit: Kevin S. Forsyth.

Murray Delos VanWagoner (1898–1986) was a civil engineer and state highway commissioner before serving one two-year term as Governor of Michigan, 1941–1942. He enacted legislation establishing the Michigan State Safety Commission “to promote greater traffic safety on public roadways.” In return, the headquarters of the Michigan Department of Transportation in the state capitol complex is named for him.