advertisement

Introduction

Origins

The City

Collegeville (1887, 1895)
College Delta (1898, 1899)
Oakwood (1899)
Cedar Banks (1900)
College Grove (1903)
Fairview (1904, 1905)
College Heights (1904)

Charter of 1907

Avondale (1913)
Bungalow Knolls (1916)
Chesterfield Hills (1916)
Ardson (1919)
Ridgeley Park (1921)
Strathmore (1925)
Glen Cairn (1926)
Bailey (1927)
Touraine (1927)

The Campus

Chronology

1855–1870
1871–1885
1886–1900
1901–1915
1916–1927

 

Interactive Map

Sites on the National and State Historic Registers

Complete list of
Significant Structures

Sources

Veterinary Laboratory (1885—1930)

The first Veterinary Laboratory was built in 1885 on a site just west of where Agriculture Hall stands today, about where a triangular traffic island is now. On its first floor was an operating room where students received clinical instruction. The second floor held an anatomy lab, where in the cool weather at the end of each fall term, a deceased horse would be hoisted in a “convenient,” if “rickety,” elevator for the sake of student dissection. From 1900 to 1902, the second floor also was used for bacteriology research until “Old Bact’y” was completed.[Kuhn, pp. 151, 231]


Veterinary Laboratory, at far right, with barns. View facing roughly east, 1886. Photo Credit: Beal, p. 154.

The above photograph is informative in showing how much of the College farm was located north of the river in 1886. The Veterinary Laboratory is at far right. From right to left appear: the “new” horse barn of 1872, built by Professor Manly Miles; the cattle barn of 1862, with a silo projecting to the left built by Professor Samuel Johnson (in 1887, according to Beal; note this contradicts the date of the photo); finally, at left and beyond, the grain barn of 1883, which contained the College’s first underground silo, also by Prof. Johnson.[Beal, p. 154]

Between 1902 and 1908, all of these barns were moved south to a new farm complex just north of the river. In the place of the 1872 horse barn and the 1862 cattle barn at the center of this photo, Agriculture Hall was built.[Beal, p. 269]

The Veterinary Lab continued to be used for anatomy studies even after the construction of a new Veterinary Clinic in 1913. The old lab was torn down in 1930, around the time the new Anatomy Building was nearing completion.[Stanford, p. 85. Kuhn, p. 352; Dressel, p. 365; Minutes, 12 Aug 1930, p. 894]

[an error occurred while processing this directive]