Agriculture Laboratory—A. J. Cook Hall (1889) SR
Former Agriculture Lab, circa 1934, when it housed Entomology. Photo Credit: M.S.U. Physical Plant.
This modest building was designed by Professor Samuel Johnson and constructed under the supervision of Professor Rolla Carpenter as the first agricultural laboratory at M.A.C. Considering that the College’s main focus was agriculture, the laboratory was probably undersized even when it opened.
Twenty years later, when the new Agriculture Hall was completed, the Department of Entomology moved in. It remained here until the Natural Science Building was completed in 1948.
Dr. A. J. Cook. Photo Credit: Beal, p. 412.
In 1969 the building was renamed after Dr. Albert John Cook (1842–1916, M.A.C. ’62), Professor of Zoology and Entomology (1868–1893). He also served as the first curator of the museum. Professor Cook’s office, laboratories, and classroom were on the second floor of the Library–Museum, where he began a Collection of Insects in 1867. Within eleven years it contained some 1,200 locally collected specimens. Some time in the 1930s the collection was moved to a brick annex at the rear of the Entomology Building. Today, the Albert J. Cook Arthropod Research Collection is housed on the fourth floor of the Natural Science Building, and consists of well over two million specimens from around the world.[Minutes, 16 May 1969, p. 6448]
Cook Hall was completely renovated in 1998, and now contains offices for the Department of Agriculture Economics and other units of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. As part of the Laboratory Row, it is listed on the state historic register.