Map excerpted from City of East Lansing Use Districts, 1926. Note the interurban right-of-way along North Street (now Burcham Drive), in its last years of service.
A large section of the Chittenden farm with the Bailey school lot in its southwest corner. Like Ardson Heights, which had the same designer, Strathmore avoided the rigid cardinal-point layout of much of the city and features curving, tree-lined streets. Platted in 1925, it was incorporated into the city within a year. Several of the streets in its southeast quarter (Beech, Linden, Chittenden and Kedzie) have been reconfigured from the original design seen in the map above.
The north-south stretch of Collingwood Drive (named for C. B. Collingwood) was originally called Haslett Street, the name given by the Fairview plat. It was changed in 1971, after East Lansing had expanded enough toward the northeast to encompass Haslett Road. As Collingwood crosses Snyder it transitions from north-south to its original east-west street; there the house numbers were fudged somewhat to prevent a gap in the numbering between 600 N. Collingwood and 700 E. Collingwood.
|Orchard Street Pumphouse, 368 Orchard St. (1934) SR|
|Hays House, 605 Butterfield Dr. (1937)|
Next: Glen Cairn