advertisement

Introduction

Origins

The City

Collegeville (1887, 1895)
College Delta (1898, 1899)
Oakwood (1899)
Cedar Banks (1900)
College Grove (1903)
Fairview (1904, 1905)
College Heights (1904)

Charter of 1907

Avondale (1913)
Bungalow Knolls (1916)
Chesterfield Hills (1916)
Ardson (1919)
Ridgeley Park (1921)
Strathmore (1925)
Glen Cairn (1926)
Bailey (1927)
Touraine (1927)

The Campus

Chronology

1855–1870
1871–1885
1886–1900
1901–1915
1916–1927

 

Interactive Map

Sites on the National and State Historic Registers

Complete list of
Significant Structures

Sources

Chesterfield Hills (#1 & #2, 1916; #3, 1926)

Ehinger Realty broke away from the convention of straight roads and rectangular lots with the Chesterfield Hills subdivisions. This “modern high class residential district” has “lots of irregular size and shape and streets with graceful bends following the natural contours. Leaving the native trees for the builders to clear away as needed… contributed to the natural beauty of the plat.”[Towar, p. 49]

Grant Hudson House, 1012 Chesterfield (1917)
Ernst A. Bessey House, 213 University Dr. (1922)
Johnson – H. J. Stoddard House, 1107 W. Grand River (1926)

Just west of Chesterfield Hills #1 are two significant houses along Cowley Avenue, both of which sheltered the John H. Cowley family. The earlier of the two predates the Chesterfield Hills development.

John H. Cowley House, 120 Cowley (1907)
Cowley House, 1140 Michigan Ave. (1922)

Next: Ardson Heights

[an error occurred while processing this directive]