Howard Terrace (1888—c.1922)
Howard Terrace, circa 1913. Photo Credit: Beal, p. 87.
Howard Terrace was built at the eastern end of Faculty Row in 1888 on a $10,000 appropriation. It contained eight apartments for use by instructors (or assistants) and their small families. In later years, portions were occupied by female students, and in 1914 the entire building was turned into a women’s dormitory. It was torn down around 1922 to clear the site for the Home Economics building.[Beal, pp. 87, 272]
Sanford Howard (1805–1871). Photo Credit: Beal, p. 379.
The building was named for Sanford Howard (1805–1871), who served as the fourth Secretary of the Board of Agriculture from February 1864 until his death in March 1871. Unlike most Secretaries who lived at the College during their tenures, Howard took up residence in Lansing. His wife, the former Matilda Williams (1803–c.1897), raised their six children, survived her husband to the age of 94, and “was the leading organizer of the Lansing Woman’s Club.”[Beal, pp. 378–379]